If you are interested to know what are their uses and when should I use? We reveal what you!
What is perlite?
Perlite is a type of naturally occurring glass. Its main feature is that it consists of 5% water, and this is what gives it the ability to expand when the temperature increases.
It has the appearance of a white lump and retains a high water capacity. It is very consistent, so it can withstand erosion well (although this is precisely the goal of perlite, as the plant grows, its roots must erode this material).
It is used as a type of substrate that helps spread plants.
Many gardeners use it in plants that are going to be longer in pots and then transfer them.
Key features of perlite
- Lightweight: It is estimated that weighs 125kg only / m 3 (i.e., which is much lighter than other similar materials).
- Structure: With its white can reduce the substrate temperature has. At the same time, it contributes to improving the reflection of light that reaches it, so it achieves the best possible development of the plant.
- Absorption/aeration: Another key is that it has its ability to raise large amounts of water. It also helps the plant get proper ventilation.
- pH: Its kind of pH is neutral.
- Also, it prevents diseases and pests.
The price of perlite is highly variable because it depends on the brand you choose. We can calculate that about 125L can step out for about 39,50 €. However, no need to buy so much, because it also can be found in sacks of 5 or 10L.
What is Vermiculite?
Moreover, the vermiculite is a mineral derived from the family of the micas. It is vital for crops because it is rich in minerals like magnesium, iron, and aluminum.
The truth is that perlite and vermiculite are very similar minerals. In this case, vermiculite involves some water internally. In the time when the outdoor temperature increases, this material can expand ( exfoliation ).
We’ll use vermiculite as a resource to achieve it spreads virtually any plant. It helps to be well ventilated, as well as having an excellent ability to hydrate the plant. Studies have shown that the ability to have water is much better than to offer perlite. That will, at the same time, so that the plant can retain a higher volume of nutrients and so can use whenever need.
It is a relatively lightweight material, and there are usually no problems if mixed with other elements; for example, it is well suited to the coir, the peat, the vermicompost, even to the own perlite.
Main characteristics of vermiculite
- Lightweight: As we have seen happening with perlite, with vermiculite is light. Although it depends on the ganulometría, the weight range between 60-140kg m ^ 3.
- Structure: One of the critical features of this compound is that its structure has a characteristic metallic sheen that reflects light will allow. That will help keep the greenhouse in good condition.
- Absorption / Aeration: It can absorb large amounts of water, as well as promote aeration.
- pH: Provides a type of neutral pH, namely 7.2.
- Another characteristic shared with perlite is that it is also free from pests and weeds.
The vermiculite price is almost the same as perlite; we can buy this compound in a ratio of 125 liters for about 40 € approx. Because several brands are responsible for marketing, we should look for one that would offer us a good relationship between quality and price. With these two elements, you already know new resources that will be much easier than your hero meets your expectations; They adapt very well to different conditions to achieve the best results.