The rat poison is a drastic solution, often used when the infestation becomes very violent, and when you require something quick and immediate. A powerful rat poison, in fact, can help you eradicate the invasion of these pests in no time, but it is certainly not a toy. So, read more here.
There are some precautions and guidelines to follow when you choose to use a rat poison like zinc phosphide or rodenticides like bromadiolone. That’s why today we will explain to you in detail how to choose these products, how they work, how to use them safely, and much other useful information.
Types Of Rat Poisons
There are different types of rat poison , although basically there are two factors that allow us to divide them into categories: namely the composition of the product and its effects. Based on these two elements, the rat poison can prove to be more or less lethal, and more or less fast in execution.
Furthermore, it is good that you know right now that rat poisons are often referred to as rodenticides or rat poisons: in any case, the basic meaning does not change, i.e. the fact that they are intended to kill the rodent. Below we will go into the two main categories of rat poison , so as to explain exactly how they differ.
Acute Rat Poisons
The acute rodenticides are poisons from the highly lethal composition and very powerful, which have the aim of killing the rat in the shortest time possible. Generally, depending on the option chosen, these rodenticides eliminate the rodent in less than 24 hours, as they produce immediate and irreversible damage. Here it is good that you know that it is a very dangerous solution, due to their rapid effect. Not surprisingly, we are talking about professional rat poisons , many of which can only be sold to those with a professional exterminator’s license.
Clearly there are also acute poisons available for purchase without a license, and here it is important to verify that the CE (European Communion) mark is present. Remember, however, that these are very dangerous products and that they always require a conscious use. In any case, we will talk about this later, because now we are going to study the different products currently on the market.
- Zinc Phosphide : This is an acute, powdered rat poison to be handled with extreme caution. This is because phosphide is a lethal element, which acts within minutes by hitting the stomach. To date, there are no known remedies for zinc phosphide poisoning , which among other things can also be lethal for humans and pets.
- ANTU : ANTU is another acute rat poison, only this time we are talking about a product that causes pulmonary edema and respiratory disorders. Also in this case the death of the mouse is very rapid, even if not like the phosphide, since it arrives in about 3 hours. It is a very dangerous substance for humans, as it is carcinogenic.
- Alfachloralose : it is one of the “kindest” rat poisons, in the sense that it kills the mouse without causing pain. This is due to the fact that alphachloralose affects the rodent’s nervous system, narcotizing it and leading to hypothermia.
In reality, there are also other examples of acute and rapid rat poison , such as red squill, sodium monofluoroacetate (illegal in Italy), normorbide and so on. However, these products are more dangerous than others: in some cases they cannot be sold in our country, in others they can only be purchased by licensed professionals.
Pros and cons of acute poisons
The advantage of an acute rat poison is evident: being extremely fast, it kills the mouse or rat in a few hours, forcing it to stop its pest activities in a very short time. However, it must be said that this type of poison also has some equally obvious disadvantages: first of all its rapidity makes it very dangerous, because it can cause serious damage not only to mice, but also to pets and humans, in case of ingestion. . Then there is talk of poisons for which there are no antidotes and, even when, they are so fast that there would be no physical time to administer them.
Secondly, it should be noted that rodenticides of this type rarely manage to attract mice by themselves. Because the latter are very cunning animals, which tend to discard lethal and fast-acting baits right away. The reason is very simple: when a rodent sees that one of its mates ingests a bait and dies, they understand that it is poison and will not touch it. Consequently, the products in question can cause the death of several rats in a few hours but are unlikely to be able to eradicate the entire infestation. And then, being very dangerous indeed, this particular type of powerful rat poison it should never be used in environments inhabited or frequented by people or other animals. This also explains why the use of these substances is increasingly rare in Italy.